February 18, 2014—Choice, a publication of the American Library Association, named Open Access (MIT Press, 2012) by Peter Suber an Outstanding Academic Title for 2013. Suber is the director of the Harvard Office for Scholarly Communication and the Harvard Open Access Project at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society.
Choice editors applied the following criteria to make their selection:
- overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
- importance relative to other literature in the field
- distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic form
- originality or uniqueness of treatment
- value to undergraduate students
- importance in building undergraduate library collections